FOR THE MEATBALLS:
- 1 package FON ground bison
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1in piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup finely diced scallions, green onions, or yellow onion
- salt to taste
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 in piece of ginger, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- scallions / green onions
OPTIONAL TOPPINGS (for serving):
sesame seeds | additional scallions
PREPARATION FOR THE SAUCE:
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients into a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer until it reaches a sauce-like consistency that easily coats the back of a spoon (about 15 minutes).
- Strain and set aside.
PREPARATION FOR THE MEATBALLS
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Add all of the meatball ingredients into a bowl. Mix to combine without overworking the meat.
- Form into golf ball-sized meatballs and place on a rack or piece of foil on top of a sheet pan.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until cooked through. (Alternatively, you can sear the meatballs in a cast iron skillet, then add the skillet to the oven to finish cooking.)
- Once fully cooked, toss the meatballs in the sauce. Top with sesame seeds and sliced scallions. Serve immediately.