For the steaks:
1 1/4 pounds Force of Nature ground bison | 2 tablespoons minced onion | 1/3 cup breadcrumbs | 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, or equal parts dried basil, dried oregano and dried thyme
For the gravy:
1 tablespoon butter | 1/2 cup sliced onion | 8 ounces sliced mushrooms | salt and pepper to taste | 1 1/2 cups beef broth | 1 tablespoon ketchup | 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce | 1 tablespoon cornstarch | 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- In a large bowl, mix together the bison, breadcrumbs, onion, Italian seasoning.
- Form the meat mixture into 4 equal sized oval shaped patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Place the patties in the pan in a single layer. Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove meat from the pan. Place on a plate and cover with foil.
- Melt the butter in the same pan used for the meat. Add the onion and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables have softened. Whisk in the beef broth, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the pan and whisk until smooth.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes or until sauce has just thickened.
- Add the meat back to the pan and spoon the gravy over the top.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve. ENJOY!
*Recipe adapted from Sara, dinneratthezoo.com