Position Title: Controller Reports to: Director of Finance
Start Date: ASAP Location: Remote
POSITION SCOPE: Force of Nature is a category disrupting brand that has quickly become the fastest growing brand in meat. Founded to accelerate the creation of a global regenerative supply network; we are revolutionizing the industry to not just improve but to create positive returns for land, for animal welfare, for communities and for consumers. The Controller will play a critical role in making sure we have a world class accounting department. As a trusted leader on our accounting team, they will be key in developing the foundation, team, systems, and processes to support growing complexity. The Controller has the overall responsibility for the entity’s accounting operations and timely & accurate financial reporting, overseeing accounting and personnel, and managing all aspects of accounting while ensuring policies and procedures are followed. For the right person, this dynamic and fast passed environment checks all the boxes of supporting a mission based company with an opportunity to develop professionally.
*Note that responsibilities may be added or adjusted over time.
- Develop and own the strategic roadmap for the accounting department
- Design the accounting organization and processes to support increasing revenue and complexity. Create Statements of Process (SOPs) across core accounting and inventory management processes
- Coordinate and prepare internal and external financial statements, including monthly and annual financial reports.
- Manage monthly, quarterly and annual close:
- Partner with operations to manage our inventory management system (DEAR) and oversee future ERP implementations
- Develop and execute best practices in Inventory management as it relates to Inventory counts and the overall accuracy of inventory recorded on financial statements and in our inventory management system
- Assist in ensuring that effective internal controls are in place and ensure compliance with GAAP and applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws.
- Create reporting on Budget vs Actuals and review with key business leaders
- Work with the Head of Finance in providing senior management with advice on the financial implications of business activities.
- Manage payroll processing and cash management for a multi-state weekly payroll
- Review the general ledger and analyzes to ensure all accounts are reconciled and transactions are recorded properly
- Prepare and file various tax returns and tax payments. Assemble and prepare schedules for tax preparation
- Manage a staff accountant in creation of process and execution of core accounting functions including AP, AR, Inventory management, expense polices and financial close. Ability to determine hiring needs and manage a growing accounting team
- Work with the Head of Finance and Accounting on the risk management function of the business, including evaluating insurance coverage for protection against property losses and potential liabilities; handling insurance certificate requirements, and annual audits
- Step in to work with junior staff on transactional load when necessary. Identify opportunities and technology to decrease manual transaction burden
- Support the invoicing and collections processes
- Manage administrative payroll and HR processes
- Support various cross-functional efforts from the lens of the accounting function
- Support improved financial reporting package
- Support debt and other jurisdictional compliance
- Provides outside tax accountants and auditors with assistance; gathers necessary account information and documents to perform annual audit.
- Implementing and monitoring accounting goals around close, real time data reliability, inventory, costing, collectoins, cash management and working capital
- Support managing company assets and fixed assets
EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATIONS:
- Accounting leader with 8+ years of progressive experience
- Experience with Inventory Management software and other Accounting ERPs (e.g. Netsuite)
- Systems implementations and management
- CPA preferred
- Retail CPG experience preferred
- Education: 4-year B.S./B.A. degree (preferably in finance or accounting) or equivalent.
- Establishes and flawlessly maintains systems, processes and procedures without exception. Understands that this is incredibly challenging in a fast growth company but accepts that this challenge.
- Can be counted on to exceed goals routinely and is consistently one of the top company performers. Is results oriented and steadfast in pushing himself/herself and others for success.
- Understands how the business works. Is knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends and information affecting the organization.
- Spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important. Quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts less important items aside without burying them forever. Can quickly and effectively sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal, eliminates roadblocks and creates focus. Does not accept excuses and finds ways to achieve success. Communicates with management before a goal or deadline is missed and effectively sets appropriate expectations.
- Is enthusiastic about the company and has unquestioned credibility with the entire team.
- Strong planning and organizational along with excellent interpersonal, written/oral communication and presentation skills,
- Proven ability to summarize and communicate complex issues or situations to senior stakeholders
- A self-starter with an active passion for positive change including processes, skills & technology.
- Seek to constantly expand and im prove on skills and knowledge base
- Demonstrated ability to excel in a hands-on, fast paced entrepreneurial environment
- Leads by example and exhibits professionalism at all times.
- Operates with the highest level of integrity and is widely trusted.
- Adheres to the FON values and beliefs in every interaction with employees, partners and customers during both good and tough times.
- Is bright, creative and deals with complexity comfortably. Is intellectually sharp, capable and agile.
- Has outstanding judgment, is a strong critical thinker and problem solver. Is able to predict and prevent issues before they arise. Creates systems that are efficient, effective, practical and scalable.
- Travel required
- Must be able to occasionally lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand, squat, bend, twist, reach, walk, or lean for entirety of shift.
- Passion for an active health & wellness lifestyle
- QuickBooks, CRM, Inventory Management (DEAR), Shopify, and customer order management solutions
- Strong in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Process planning, Project Management and Inventory Management
Please email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org